Constitution and by-laws of The South of Dayton Democratic Club, Montgomery County, State of Ohio
Revised Constitution and by-laws as approved by membership February 19, 2014
ARTICLE I - Name
The name of the organization shall be THE SOUTH OF DAYTON DEMOCRATIC CLUB
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVE
The objective of this organization shall be to unite Democrats, promote the Democratic Party, expand its membership, and become active in electing Democrats to public office and supporting Democratic Party issues.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERSHIP
Anyone who believes in the principles of the Democratic Party shall be eligible for membership in this organization.
ARTICLE IV - MEETINGS
Meetings shall be held on the third Wednesday of each month. A special meeting may be called by the President with the consent of the majority of the Executive Committee. Meetings shall be held September thru June.
ARTICLE V - OFFICERS
- 1. The elected officers shall be President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.
- 2. To be eligible to hold office, a person must be a resident of Montgomery County and a member in good standing with The South of Dayton Democratic Club for one year prior to election.
ARTICLE VI - EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- 1. The Executive Committee shall consist of the duly elected officers and the immediate past president.
- 2. When a vacancy occurs in any office, that officer shall be replaced by a member in good standing whose name shall be presented by the Executive Committee to the membership to be voted on at a regular meeting of the Club.
ARTICLE VII - ELECTIONS
- 1. The officers of this organization shall be elected at the January meeting in odd years and shall hold office for two years.
- 2. No President elected to hold that office may succeed himself/herself except by two-thirds votes of members present.
ARTICLE VIII - NOMINATIONS
Nominations for officers shall be made, presented, discussed, and voted on by members present at each January when elections are held.
ARTICLE IX - COMMITTEES
The President shall appoint the chairpersons of all committees.
ARTICLE X - DUES
- 1. Annual dues shall be payable at the first meeting in January.
- 2. Dues shall be established by the membership at the first meeting of the year.
ARTICLE XI - SUGGESTED ORDER OF BUSINESS
- 1. Call to order
- 2. Salute to the flag, pledge of Allegiance
- 3. Sign in sheet
- 4. Speaker or program
- 5. Reading of the minutes
- 6. Treasurer’s report
- 7. Reports of Committees
- 8. Unfinished business
- 9. New business
- 10. Adjourn
ARTICLE XII - DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- 1. The President shall preside at all regular or special meetings of the Club and shall perform such duties as are incident to the office. The President shall be a member ex-officio of all committees. The president shall represent the Club at the Montgomery County Executive Committee meetings.
- 2. The Vice President, in the absence of the President, shall preside at all meetings and perform functions of the President and all other duties incident to the office of Vice President.
- 3. The Secretary shall keep an accurate and impartial record of all meetings. The Secretary shall preserve said minutes in a permanent book or record provided for that purpose and shall turn over that book or record to his/her successor. The Secretary shall keep a permanent and accurate roll call of the members present at each meeting.
- 4. The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all funds of this organization and shall pay out such funds on the order of the organization signed by the President and the Treasurer. All Major expenditures ($100 or more) shall be approved by majority vote of members present. The Treasurer shall also keep an accurate account of all receipts and disbursements and shall be prepared at any meeting of the organization to present a report. All monies and property of the Club shall be turned over to his/her successor at the end of his/her term of office. A complete audit of the books and all property of the Club shall occur at the beginning of each new term of office, and a report shall be given to the members at the following meeting. The Treasurer shall submit reports to the Montgomery County Board of Elections as required.
ARTICLE XIII - AMENDMENTS
The Constitution and By-laws may be amended at any meeting of the Club by a two-thirds vote of members present. Written notice of the intent of the proposed amendment must be sent to all members two weeks before the meeting when the amendments will be considered, giving date, place, and time of the meeting.